Wednesday’s trial of a man who carried a sign reading "high powered rifle" into a Strasburg elementary school in December was canceled today.
Christopher Johnson, 33, was scheduled to go to trial tomorrow in Shenandoah County Circuit Court in Woodstock. Instead, he’ll get a new court date.
It’s unclear why the trial was postponed.
A message has been left with his attorney David Silek. The attorney claims that Johnson does not deny bringing the sign into the school but he said Johnson denies that it created a disturbance serious enough to warrant a misdemeanor.
Johnson brought the sign into Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 19, five days after the shooting at a school of the same name in Newtown, Conn., in which 20 children and six adults were killed by a lone gunman.
Silek previously told the Daily News-Record that his client simply wanted to bring awareness of security lapses that he felt put students and employees at risk.
Contact Pete DeLea at 574-6278 or firstname.lastname@example.org