Al Jenkins (left), president of the Longs Chapel Preservation Society, talks about the history of the building and surrounding area, historically known as Zenda, during an open house for the newly renovated structure north of Harrisonburg on Saturday. (Photos by Jason Lenhart)
Dorothy Dickerson (left) of Harrisonburg and Delois Warr of Mount Jackson discuss family heritage inside the renovated Longs Chapel during an open house Saturday. Longs Chapel is a remnant of Zenda, a settlement of freed slaves that formed north of Harrisonburg after the Civil War.
Longs Chapel held an open house Saturday, giving visitors the opportunity to see the restoration progress. The chapel, built in 1870, is a remnant of Rockingham County’s Zenda community created by freed slaves.