UPDATE: Three Rescued From Shenandoah River

Posted: June 28, 2014

Daily News-Record

FINAL STORY: 7:33 p.m.

The Rockingham County Fire and Rescue Department saved three people stuck on the South Fork of the Shenandoah River on Saturday afternoon.

Chief Jeremy Holloway said crews were on the scene, which was about a half mile north of the Island Ford Road boat landing, within about 10 minutes of the call coming in at 3:30 p.m. A canoe carrying two adults — a man and a woman — and a 4-year-old girl turned over, stranding them on an island, he said.

No injuries were reported. The rescue lasted about an hour. The woman was able to call 911.

The river was moving swiftly on Saturday and up about 2 feet above its normal level, Holloway said.

The water rescue was the department’s second this year. It had six in 2013, Holloway said. He advises anyone going out on the river to be sure they are properly skilled to use their equipment and tell someone where they are going and when they plan to return. 


Update 4:38 p.m.: Firefigheters report all victims have been rescued.


Update 4:17 p.m.: Firefigheters report on child and an adult are now on shore.


Update 3:54 p.m.: Firefighters say three victims are in the water. 


Emergency crews are responding to the South Fork of the Shenandoah River off Island Ford Road near Elkton for a water rescue.

Initial caller to 911 reports several people are stranded.

As of about 3:45 p.m., crews have made contact with the victims and are attempting to rescue them now. It's unclear how many victims there are.

This is the second water rescue in the same area this month.

On June 12, seven people inner tubing and kayaking in the same area were found safe and sound by Rockingham County Fire and Rescue personnel, who were called out to conduct a search this afternoon. 

A 911 call was made about 3:30 p.m. The caller told dispatchers a tour group arrived at the end of its trip on the river and realized several people were missing. Firefighters located the missing people about a half-hour later: Two were found walking near the river, and five were found in the water but were able to get out. All seven were safe, firefighters reported. 

Check back throughout the day for more information on this breaking new story.

NDN Video News