State Names New Historic ‘Landmarks’
Shenandoah County Mill Among Recent Additions To Register
HARRISONBURG — The Virginia Department of Historic Resources has added 16 historically significant places to the Virginia Landmarks Register, including the Stoner-Keller House and Mill in Shenandoah County.
About a third of the new entries relate the story of women and blacks, such as the First Baptist Church in Farmville. Founded in 1867, the church became a center for the black community at the height of efforts to desegregate Prince Edward County’s public schools a half-century ago.
Other new landmarks include the Stafford Training School, which was the only black high school in Stafford County during segregation, the Hayden High School in Franklin, and North Court Hall at the University of Richmond.
The Stoner-Keller House and Mill, located in the village of Fishers Hill in Shenandoah County, is a well-preserved example of a mill complex, a once-vital industry in Shenandoah County, according to the department. Also called the Abraham Stoner House, it was built in 1844 as the residence of Abraham, a grandson of Frederick Stoner, the mill’s original builder and operator.
Of the county’s six existing gristmills, Stoner-Keller is the oldest. It was used continuously from 1772 until 1958. The mill retains its large circa-1895 steel overshot water wheel and early millstones.
The 2.5-acre property also has a one-story barn and a two-story tenant house, both constructed around 1880, and the trace of a 1772 tailrace.