Valley Resident Finds Fugitive In Her Driveway

Woman Witnesses Apprehension Of Suspect In N.Y. Murder Case

Posted: October 3, 2012

Carrie Plauger thought a car alarm was going off near her Fort Valley home Friday afternoon. What it turned out to be was the apprehension of a murder suspect at the end of her driveway.

Plauger, who lives on Woodstock Tower Road, witnessed U.S. marshals arresting Anthony Robert “Rob” Taglianetti II, 42, of Woodbridge. Taglianetti is charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of a New York school district superintendent.

“I was sitting here in the house having a conversation with my husband when there was what I took to be an alarm sound,” Plauger said.

Thinking it was car alarm that had gone off and that someone might be in need of help, she got in her car and drove out to check.

“There was a car parked at the end of my driveway and a man out on the ground with his face in the dirt,” she said.

Two officers with U.S. Marshals Service were there, one on top of Taglianetti and another pointing a gun at him.

“They were hollering at him [asking if he had] any drugs and guns,” Plauger said. “It all happened so fast.”

She said the marshals told her who Taglianetti was when she asked what was going on.

After leaving her home about 4 p.m. to attend to her duties as operator of the Fort Valley dumpsite and to pick up her granddaughter, she drove back past the scene to find the marshals still there.

Plauger said from what she could tell, the officers were unsure where they were and having trouble with their cell service, as they stayed at the site for about 45 minutes.

“They asked [more than once] if this was Shenandoah County. I don’t know how much cell service they would have had,” she said.

Taglianetti is being held in Prince William County Jail while awaiting extradition from Virginia to New York for the murder of Clymer Central School District Superintendent Keith Reed Jr. Police say Reed was shot to death on Sept. 21.

Chautauqua County, N.Y., Sheriff Joseph Gerace said Reed was reported missing Sept. 23, and a K-9 unit found his body near his home the following day.

Gerace confirmed a report from The Associated Press that Taglianetti suspected Reed of having an affair with his wife. Taglianetti and his wife are separated.

The investigation led quickly to Virginia, Gerace said, after a call from Taglianetti’s wife and analysis of electronic correspondence with the victim. Police believe that the suspect had been camping in the woods in Shenandoah County for close to a week.

Deputies from Prince William and Shenandoah County sheriff’s offices assisted in the investigation.

Gerace said a handgun was recovered from Taglianetti’s vehicle at the scene in Shenandoah County and turned over to forensics specialists in Prince William County, which is leading the investigation in Virginia in cooperation with New York authorities.

“We cannot confirm that it was the murder weapon until ballistics tests are conducted,” he said.

Gerace said a man believed to be Taglianetti paid a visit to Clymer Central School on Sept. 21, saying that he was looking for work as a substitute teacher and asking for Reed, who was not there at the time. Though he never identified himself by name, several people at the school reported after the police investigation began that they had seen him there.

“You have to understand our setting in our area is very rural. It’s a very small, tightknit community,” Gerace said. “The student body is very small.”

Clymer, with a population of about 1,700 people, is in extreme western New York, about 30 miles southeast of Erie, Pa.

A statement posted on the Clymer Central School website from the local Board of Education reads: “We are deeply saddened and shocked by the death of our Superintendent, Keith L. Reed, Jr. He was more than a superintendent. He encouraged everyone without judgment. He simply brought the best out in everyone — students, faculty, staff and community. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.”

Taglianetti began the process of fighting extradition during a court hearing on Monday. Gerace said Taglianetti asked for an attorney, so the hearing was adjourned until the end of October.

“It could be 60 to 90 days before he returns [to New York],” Gerace said.

Contact Kaitlin Mayhew at 574-6290 or

NDN Video News