Principal: Confession Made In Bomb Threat

Case Remains Active

Posted: January 11, 2013

Daily News-Record

HARRISONBURG — School officials announced Friday that someone has confessed to making a bomb threat last week at Spotswood High School.

In an email to parents, Principal Steve Leaman said someone admitted to making a threat on Jan. 4. One source close to the investigation said the suspect is a student.
Authorities have not released the student's name because he is a juvenile, the source said.

“Information from teachers and students and diligent investigations by assistant principals, fire marshal, and sheriff deputies, etc. resulted in a successful resolution,” Leaman stated in the email.

Deputies say the bomb threat was found written in pencil in a bathroom stall around 10 a.m.

Although there is a reported confession, Rockingham County Sheriff Bryan Hutcheson said no charges have been filed. His department is investigating.

He declined to comment further.

Leaman’s email also informed parents that the school was once again evacuated Friday because of another “low level risk message.” It was another bomb threat, a source close the case said. The school was swept in both incidents and no devices were found.
 

Contact Pete DeLea at 574-6278 or pdelea@dnronline.com