Ten Things To Know For Today
Posted: March 15, 2013
1. WHAT CLERGY ABUSE VICTIMS ARE HOPING FOR
Some seek greater transparency as Pope Francis begins his papacy; others want the defrocking of U.S. cardinals who covered up for pedophile priests.
2. HOW FRANCIS IS KNOWN IN HIS HOMELAND
For Argentina's poorest citizens, who crowd the many so-called “misery villages” that surround Buenos Aires, he's proudly known as one of their own, a true “slum pope.”
3. ASSAD BEEFING UP SECURITY IN DAMASCUS
On the second anniversary of Syria's uprising, some rebels have called for stepped-up attacks to mark the occasion.
4. DREAM STILL ALIVE FOR BOEING JETLINER
The “Dreamliner” maker envisions commercial flights of its grounded 787 jets resuming “within weeks,” even though it has not pinpointed the cause of battery overheating.
5. WHY A FAVORITE IN NYC MAYORAL RACE WON'T MARCH ON ST. PATRICK'S DAY
City Council Speaker Christine Quinn is gay and won't take part due to the parade's ban on gay pride sashes, banners or buttons.
6. MARYLAND MAY ABOLISH CAPITAL PUNISHMENT
The “Free State” may be the 18th in the nation to end executions if the General Assembly gives final passage this week.
7. BUDGET CUTS NOT IMPACTING THIS PROGRAM
The Pentagon is spending nearly a $1 billion a year on a program that sends unemployment checks to former troops who left the military voluntarily.
8. KEY WITNESSES SET TO TESTIFY IN H.S. FOOTBALL RAPE CASE
The testimony of three teenage boys who watched the alleged attacks is a crucial part of Ohio's evidence, since the girl says she has no memory of the event.
9. HOW BIG IS THE GALAXY (SCREEN)
Samsung's new Galaxy S 4 smartphone crams a 5-inch screen into a body slightly smaller than its predecessor, the S III.
10. HOW A TV SERIES HAS IMPACTED TOURISM IN NEW MEXICO
The popularity of AMC's “Breaking Bad” has spurred international interest in a fast-food burrito chain in Albuquerque.