After spiking in April, the unemployment rate for localities in the Valley recovered somewhat in May, according to the most recent data available from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, though regional jobless rates are still roughly three times higher than May 2019.
Today's Top Stories
Rosy cheeked with a head full of ideas, Rosetta Ann Walton Harris wore many hats that guaranteed she was a force to be reckoned with. Read more
The day before most of the state entered Phase 3 of its reopening during the COVID-19 pandemic, Gov. Ralph Northam said that restaurants would still not be allowed to serve guests at their bars in a reversal that changed local restaurant owners’ calculations. Read more
At its May 26 meeting, Harrisonburg City Council voted to delay the usual July 4 fireworks display it puts on in partnership with Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Read more
AP National News
- More fireworks in Americans' hands for July 4 raises risks
- Violence mars Portland protests, frustrates Black community
- Virus concerns grow — as do crowds flocking to Jersey Shore
- Ohio school district dropping Redskins name for sports teams
- VIRUS DIARY: Pro golf without fans in an eerie green expanse
AP Regional Sports
AP National Sports
- Bucks, Lakers look to shed rust or rest for playoffs?
- Redskins to have 'thorough review' of name amid race debate
- MLB cancels All-Star Game for 1st time since 1945
- Washington Redskins undergoing 'thorough review' of team name
- MLB cancels All-Star Game, awards 2022 All-Star Game to Los Angeles Dodgers
Turner Pavilion will have to wait another year to see iridescent bubbles being blown for cheesing children and host the warm aromas of sizzling barbecue to tickle noses.
Amid the chaotic confusion that has defined 2020, mo…
To help keep the community informed about critical developments during the current coronavirus crisis, The Daily News-Record has temporarily opened free access to all articles related to the COVID-19 pandemic and its local, regional and national impacts.
Most Popular Articles
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular articles.
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular images.
DN-R Photo Galleries